Tech Tip - Spraying in Cold Weather
Posted By DEMILEC
With the cold weather months upon us, I feel the need to remind everyone
about some of the following things that will help ensure good foam is
being applied and equipment problems are minimized.
- Try to store drums/rig in an environment of 60- 80 degrees F.
- Keep drums off of concrete floors and do not store in any room where the
temperature can go below 60 degrees F.
- If you have a heated rig, try to stock the material the night before so
that it will be warm at the start of your next day.
- Store grease & clear-shot in a warm area as these items will tend to
be very thick and could cause some gun issues
- Whatever the temperature is in the rig, will become that temperature of
Hoses, grease, clear shot, hydraulic oil and everything in the rig. Longer
start-up times will result if the rig is cold. Air, hose and recirculation
lines can freeze if the trailer is not kept warm.
- Try to keep drums off the floor as they will absorb the cold. Put on a
pallet, build a 2×4 frame and fill with foam plywood deck to insulate
the drums. Some applicators prefer to foam the underside of the truck/trailer
body to keep the floor warm.
- Invest in some nice space heaters, drum blankets…etc. Drum Band
heaters are not recommended.
Keep your truck/trailer as close to the job site entrance as possible.
A roll of fiberglass batt material can be used to put under any hose that
will be laying on cold pavement or snow. (this will help keep it warm)
- If possible, get your truck/generator serviced before the cold months.
If your generator doesn’t have a heat plug, get one.
- Using a re-circulation system is of prime importance in the winter months
to bring open cell resin drum temperatures up to improve foam performance
- You will generally have more stuff plugged in so check all outlets and
extension cords. Service or replace if necessary.
- A drum mixer is also required to keep material mixed, aerated and help
provide a uniform drum temperature.
Contact your DemilecUSA Technical Service Representative
with any questions or issues.